A message from Dean Ira Solomon

Dean Ira Solomon

Nov. 17, 2020

Dear members of the Freeman School community:

For a little over nine years now, I have had the privilege of serving as the dean of the A. B. Freeman School of Business. Now, as the final year of my second five-year term as dean is progressing, I have been doing a lot of thinking about my future and what is best for the Freeman School. I have consulted a variety of people, most importantly my family and friends, and have reflected at length on the implications of the context created by the COVID-19 pandemic. I also have engaged with the Freeman School’s Business School Council (BSC) and the campus leadership about the future of the Freeman School.

I am writing at this time to communicate that after considerable thought I recently informed Provost Robin Forman that I will not be standing for a third term as dean. Consequently, my service as Freeman School dean will end at the 10-year point, i.e., June 30, 2021.

Together, we have accomplished a great deal over the nine-plus years and despite the challenges posed by the COVID-19 pandemic, I am expecting the remainder of the academic year 2020-2021 to be another period of great accomplishment. There is much and there are many people to recognize who are largely responsible for what has been accomplished and the exciting pathway on which Freeman now is on. Instead of thanking people via email, I later will be doing so in a more personal way. For now, I simply want to note that the Freeman School community, especially the faculty, staff and students, have been nothing short of fabulous. And I would be remiss if I were not to note the wonderful engagement that I have had with parents and alumni as well as the wonderful advice that I have been given by all. These are relationships that I will cherish for many years to come.

It truly has been a great honor to serve as the dean of the Freeman School. Thank you for all that you do for Freeman and very best regards.

Ira Solomon,

Dean, A. B. Freeman School of Business

Debra & Rick Rees Professor

Back to top of page